Finding Opportunity After a Market Blow Up with Henry Yoshida
This week Jeff brings on Henry Yoshida, the co-founder, and CEO of Rocket Dollar, a fintech startup putting decision making power back in the hands of the investor. Then, Mark and Jack join us as always to bring a healthy dose of reality and humor to the podcast.
Finally, our very own Jack Pelzer is here to give you a little hope with a traditional Irish trader blessing.
Have thoughts about this episode? Don’t forget, we want to hear from you! We’re rolling out a new call-in line for listeners of the show, so be sure to give us a call at 855-902-0331 and let us know what’s on your mind.
- [00:55] - This week
- [03:00] - MARKet Reaction with Mark Meadows
- [05:00] - Jeff Carter Interview with Henry Yoshida
- [05:13] - What was your career like after starting when the internet bubble blew up?
- [06:48] - What was is like to find a way to survive during times of economic stress?
- [07:32] - How your mind has to work to be successful
- [11:35] - Why did you become an RIA at that time?
- [16:12] - What are your thoughts on robo-advisors?
- [22:41] - Do you see the role of human advisors changing?
- [25:55] - Does Rocket Dollar work like a self-directed IRA?
- [29:40] - What are the tax differences between real and retirement money when investing in a startup?
- [34:55] - Why did you choose to go B2C when you had so much success with B2B before?
- [37:15] - Do you have the tools on Rocket Dollar to analyze real estate?
- [43:36] - Being a public vs private CEO
- [44:43] - What are the downsides and upsides to raising your public profile?
- [47:02] - What advice do you have for someone starting a startup?
- [49:33] - The importance of execution & focus
- [50:58] - What is your next big goal?
- [52:43] - How do you know when to quit?
- [55:00] - Traditional Irish Trader Blessing with Jack Pelzer
Henry graduated from The University of Texas at Austin and holds an MBA from both the Johnson School of Management at Cornell University and Queen’s University in Canada. He resides in Austin with his wife and two daughters.
Limit Up! Is hosted by Jeff Carter. Jeff is a general partner at West Loop Ventures. In April of 2007, he co-founded Hyde Park Angels and spearheaded the growth and development of one of the most active angel groups in the United States. He has consulted on the startup of several other angel groups. He is a former independent trader and member of the CME Board of Directors and was part of a small group that transformed CME from an open outcry exchange to the largest electronic exchange in the world. In 1998, CME was worth $182,134,000 in membership enterprise value. Today it’s worth $55 Billion.
If you'd like to receive new episodes as they're published, please subscribe to Limit up! in Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a review in Apple Podcasts. It really helps others find the show.
This podcast episode was produced by Dante32.